On Jan 25, 7:28 pm, "Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The basic idea of a persistence layer (as I understand it) is that you
> attempt to isolate applications from the database to the point that the
> application and the data model can vary independently without requiring
> major code changes.  As the paper above puts it, a well build
> persistence layer for an application should allow moving tables,
> renaming tables, renaming columns, and reorganizing tables without
> affecting the applications that access them.

yeah....to be honest, one thing that makes SA unique from most other
ORMs ive seen is that its specifically *not* trying to accomplish that.
 as you said, youre not so optimistic about it either.  my experience
is that those who argue about the "object-relational impedance
mismatch", for which you can find endless blog/academic articles about,
seem to be obsessed with a completely clean separation of objects and
database.  and that implies that theyd like their application to scurry
along doing everything it does without nary a shadow of a relational
concept being revealed....so...why use a database at all then ?

SA's goal is absolutely not to create a programming paradigm or
framework which allows pure separation of application/persistence
concerns...such a framework could certainly build on top of SA, but
within SA we are providing more primitive operations than that.  The
goal of SA is strictly to provide a rich framework for issuing SQL
statements to a database.  the ORM part of it, which is totally
optional, then takes a straightforward approach to mapping Python
classes to database tables and other selectables, and provides maybe
the *beginning* of an abstractional layer, but thats about it.  it
assumes Python is a flexible enough language that its up to the larger
framework to figure out where to hide the "session.query()" calls, if
thats whats desired.

personally I dont really believe in a pure abstractional layer and i
think the more time one spends being obsessed with it, the less one
ends up getting done.  lump it in there with all those other silver
bullets.