> > Finally, note that I'm _not_ asking for sqlalchemy to maintain the
> > collections for me.  All I'm asking is for the cascade code not to
> > attempt to delete objects that have already been deleted and flushed,
> > or at least to safely handle the exception it raises when it does.
>
> OK, what behavior are you looking for  ?  it raises an exception right
> now.  whats "unsafe" about it ?

Well, it interrupts the cascading and leaves session.deleted in an
inconsistent state where not all of the object's dependents may be
included.  I was under the assumption that this meant those dependents
wouldn't be deleted, which would be a nightmare for trying to handle
the exception.  But it seems I was mistaken about that -- the flush
finds and deletes the remaining dependents anyway.  I could argue that
leaving session.deleted in an inconsistent state is still a bad thing,
but it's not nearly as severe as I had thought.