I don't use postgres, so I don't know for certain, but that error
message looks like the one described in this message:

http://groups.google.com/group/sqlalchemy/msg/f4f47510b76720c9

If it is that case, I think it was fixed in rev 2301, and 2302 added a
more convenient way to use DISTINCT with SelectResults.

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/changeset/2301
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/changeset/2302

Hope that helps,

Simon