Right, "delete-orphan" is what adds the lifecycle relationship between
parent and child. It means that the child can't exist without a
parent. That lets SA know that it should eliminate the child rather
than trying to null out the relationship.

You probably want "all" so that all actions performed on the parent
will propagate to the child, which will remove the need to save
children directly. See here also:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/unitofwork.myt#unitofwork_cascade

Cheers,

Luke