On Feb 17, 2007, at 6:55 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> But I was a bit disappointed when I found that I couldn't access a
> view as a table (using autoload). The application I currently work on
> is based on Oracle and uses views heavily. The good news is that it
> uses a lot of materialized views, which do work with SA, but it would
> still be really nice if SA could treat SQL views as normal tables,
> just as the DBMS does.

it does.  however, reflecting those views would require people
contribute reflection code to all the various DBAPIs.  if the queries
in oracle.py/reflecttable were enhanced to search for views as well,
then your app would be able to reflect them.

> It is also common to use synonyms quite heavily
> on Oracle, but SA unfortunately doesn't seem to understand those
> either.

theres a ticket for the issue of oracle reflection across synonyms,
and a patch within the ticket that needs some reworking before it is
commtted...the ticket poster marked it as low priority for now.  but
again, SA has no problem with synonyms, its just reflection youre
having problems with.  if you define your Tables explicitly (as is
the only way available with most other ORM tools such as hibernate)
you can point to any view or synonym you like.