On Feb 18, 2007, at 6:37 PM, Troy wrote:

>> i suppose this is not terribly hard since it would just mean some
>> extra argument passed along.  of course the question is *why* would
>> you need this.  if its some kind of case-insensitive resultproxy
>> issue, id rather do something on that end.
>
> It's not about case in the resultproxy, it's about case-insensitive
> for server-side compare, such as in the where clause and when ordering
> results.

comparisons....like literal text injected into the SQL?  why not use
bind parameters ?    there are cases where literal text should not be
quoted, i.e. if you hardcoded "where x = 'SomeString'"..but its
possible that the quoting is too eager right now due to some recent
issues.  in any case need an example what you mean.

>> so the rule would be, look for an SA dialect first, else try to
>> import module ?    would we want to do this in a more indirect way,
>> i.e. "register_dialect("postgres", mydialect)" so that one can
>> install custom dialects across the board for a given type ?
>
> I like the convention, but it could cause some havoc in same-process/
> multi-app environments such as CherryPy and a twisted/python version
> of Mongrel (the http server gaining popularity as the defacto Rails
> deployment method) I'm getting ready to release.

ok

> P.S.  This is my second response, I'm using the google groups web UI
> and it appears that my replies are not being posted (I checked a few
> other threads that I have replied to here, and at the Mako group).
> Not sure why, it says from me to "sqlalchemy", but I apologize if your
> getting this as an e-mail instead of a post to the group.

google has a spam filter but theres no messages in it.