I've gone through the archives, but there doesn't appear to have been
any discussion on the use of trusted connections to MSSQL servers. (aka
NT authentication, passthrough etc.) If I've overlooked a previous
discussion and am rehashing things then please do point it out.

Of the three db interfaces on offer (pymssql, adodbapi, pyodbc) only the
latter two offer the possibility of a trusted connection. I looked at
the code of pymssql a while ago and it doesn't do anything useful with a
null username (which is the way in which Object Craft's now-stale MSSQL
module handles passthrough). The ADO & ODBC connections use those mildly
unwieldy connection strings which do at least allow for NT authentication.

Assuming there were to be some agreement on the matter, I'd be quite
happy to offer a patch. But I'm not sure whether the preference would be
for an implicit trusted connection (pass an empty username) or for an
explicit option on the create_engine (trusted_connection=True or whatever).

Picking up briefly on comments by Rick Morrison -- to whom many thanks
for making the MSSQL stuff happen -- it is a shame that there's no easy
answer to the question: "What do I use with Python to access MS SQL
Server?". I used the Object Craft module for years until they
effectively stopped releases for newer versions. I occasionally fall
back to Py2.3 just to use it as it's the most robust of the options.
pyodbc looks good but lacks .nextset support, which is central to a
widely used (internally) sql2xl library I knocked up years ago. adodbapi
does offer this but has been unmaintained for a while and is just a
little flaky. pymssql is maintained but uses the deprecated db-lib
interface (as does the Object Craft offering) and doesn't handle Unicode
especially well, at least on Windows.

With all that, then, I'm very glad that sqlalchemy gives me the choice!

TJG