[snip]
 > When I use this with my table and datamapper code, it looks like
> everything is working fine but the generated SQL insert statement
> fails with a exception:
>
> sqlalchemy.exceptions.SQLError: (ProgrammingError) parse error -
> invalid geometry
>   'INSERT INTO gis_entity (id, name, pos) VALUES (%(mId)s, %(mName)s,
> %(mPos)s)' {'mName': 'New entity', 'mId': 1L, 'mPos':
> "GeomFromText('POINT(100 100)',-1)"}
>
> I know from using sql directly in pgadmin3 that this line works correctly:
>
> insert into gis_entity (id, name, pos) values (2, 'New entity',
> GeomFromText('POINT(100 100)', -1));
>
> Does anyone see how this varies from the sql statement issued by SA?

By looking at the postgres log I figured out what was causing the
error, but I still don't know how to fix it.

The problem is that SA considers "GeomFromText('POINT(100 100)', -1)"
to be a string so it puts it in single quotes when creating the SQL
command to execute. This causes problems because them postgres doesn't
know it could be calling a method instead.  I have tried returning an
sqlalchemy.func object but this doesn't work either.

Any ideas?

-Allen