you could certainly write a helper function if you find that you do this a lot.

I'd be -1 on making it official, it just seems messy to me.

(defining "collection" only as "list" is sucky; defining "collection"
as "anything you can iterate over" is problematic because an instance
that is itself in the session could define __iter__ and then your
semantics are ambiguous.)