Hi there,

I'm trying to make a small (open source) inventory tracking system
with TurboGears and SQLAlchemy, and I have a little problem with how I
should implement the database part.

I think the best idea would be to have different sequences for each
type of item tracked, so spork number 543 would be SPRK-00000543.

Now, one could of course create a different table for each type of
item stored, but that means that creation of new types includes
modifications to the database structure and (even worse) the database
model.

So I thought of just putting it all in a single table. The way I see
it, there's three different ways to do that, and I cannot discern
which is best:
1) Use a normal int primary key and have item_number and item_type as
indexed columns
2) Use a string primary primary key, containing the full item
designation (SPRK-00000543)
3) Use a multi-column primary key with item_type and item_number

The way I see it, #3 would be preferable, but is that possible with
SQLAlchemy - I can use UniqueConstraint to make sure the combination
is unique, but does that perform well, and can it be a primary key?

In any case, I'm not decided yet, so if you have any advice on how to
best accomplish my goal, I'd appreciate if you'd help me :)