Perhaps he's looking for an upsert function?  That's sometimes handy, and to
be truly useful would have to be able to use any given key on the table.

I hacked up an upsert for SQLObject once, but it was so ugly I never
contributed it.   It did make the "poor man's replication system" that I was
working on simpler, though.