ah, in fact one failure youre having, the "testcast" failure, is
indicative of running against a very old sqlite.

FAIL: testcast (sql.select.SelectTest)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/private/tmp/sqlalchemy/test/sql/select.py", line 737, in
testcast
     check_results(sqlite.dialect(), ['NUMERIC(10, 2)', 'NUMERIC(12,
9)', 'DATE', 'TEXT', 'VARCHAR(20)'], '?')
   File "/private/tmp/sqlalchemy/test/sql/select.py", line 723, in
check_results
     self.assertEqual(str(cast(tbl.c.v1, Numeric).compile
(dialect=dialect)), 'CAST(casttest.v1 AS %s)' %expected_results[0])
AssertionError: 'casttest.v1' != 'CAST(casttest.v1 AS NUMERIC(10, 2))'

the CAST isnt happening for the sqlite dialect.  this only occurs if
this logic takes place:

         self.supports_cast = (sqlite is not None and vers
(sqlite.sqlite_version) >= vers("3.2.3"))

if youre running py2.5 it should be using the sqlite3 thats included,
which on my install is "3.3.5".  otherwise you should run 3.3.13
since there was an order by bug in 3.3.12 and a few previous versions.