the cursor metadata often cannot be read until fetchone() is  called
first.  the current result set implementation we have doesnt call
fetchone() before it tries to get the metadata, and normally it
shouldnt (since the result set doesnt even know if its the result of a
select/insert/whatever).   id like an alternate result set class to go
into effect when PG/server side cursors/select is used to do this, i
think someone was supposed to send a patch.  its hard for me to
develop since my version of PG 8.1 doesnt seem to reproduce the issue.