Hi all,

I attached a snapshot of my current source of the Firebird backend for
SA to ticket #410. This version passes several more unittests, in
particular wrt the supported types: BLOBs and Unicode should work now.

Since I'd be very sad knowing I'm breaking someone else project, I'd
like to hear a voice from some other FB user, before asking Michael to
accept this work.

There are mainly two areas that still need some work:
a) better handling of dialect 1 (a.k.a. Interbase 5.x) datatypes
b) correct the way the backend deals with "case-sensitive"

a) requires some way to reach the actual connection from the
dialect.type_descriptor(), that needs to know which dialect the
connection is talking to give the right answer.

b) is now alleviated, in dialect.has_table(), by using the LIKE operator
instead of a straight "=" on the table name; more, the
dialect.reflecttable() now initialize the "case_sensitive" flag on each
column, but this clearly needs more work, mainly to better understand
the whole logic behind "case_sensitive" on my part.

Please see:
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/attachment/ticket/410/firebird.py

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
ciao, lele.