automatically, no.  manually, call engine.dispose() or
connection.invalidate().  we have some support for automatic
connection invalidation in mysql.  in postgres we have made some
attempts but havent really narrowed down where the errors get thrown
and how to distinguish them from regular SQL errors....generally its
extremely tedious to test since you have to keep stopping/starting
postgres, etc.,

FTR, ive never seen any connection pools in any language (Java,
etc. ) that can gracefully handle reconnections...they all require
restarting of some kind.