I hate to say it, but I honestly don't know.  I've seen mention of
pkg_resources in various blogs and messages but I've never bothered to
learn exactly what it is.  As such, I can't answer your question.

I did some quick googling and found mention that pkg_resource
datafiles are known to work.  In the same thread, they make mention of
the illogical use of direct zip/egg access because of the way
pyinstaller works.  Which is to say, pyinstaller is simply going to
remove the modules from from the zip/egg and place it into the binary/
directory (depending on how PyInstaller is used). This means, to
support egg/zip, you make it install the egg in uncompressed format
and PyInstaller works fine.  That's the way I use SQLAlchemy and can
make a single binary which contains cx_Oracle, SQLAlchemy, my
application (big), the python runtime (2.4; which 2.3 is installed on
the system), and all the dependents, including shared libraries for
Oracle, sockets, etc.  I've even tried UPX binaries, which turns my
13.5M binary into a 9M binary.

Hopefully that answers your question, but I doubt it.  I highly
recommend you pop over to the PyInstaller Google groups and ask your
question.  Hopefully the author will be able to better address your
questions/concerns.

Greg