On Apr 10, 2007, at 5:33 AM, Koen Bok wrote:

> I'm trying to wrap my head around the threadlocal plugin to decide if
> we need it for our app.

you dont.  dont use it.   if it requires any kind of head wrapping,
then thats why i ripped it out of the core...youre better off
designing your own system, which then youll understand perfectly.

> We are building a GUI point of sale system.
> Until now I have done everything in sessions, basically in one global
> shared session.

use one session per thread.

> Basically we hoped that someone could compare the threadlocal strategy
> to the default strategy and some examples in what kind of apps you
> would use it.

the threadlocal strategy is only remotely useful if you are working
with explicit Connection and possibly Transaction objects, and its to
support replacing this pattern:

def do_function(conn):
      conn.execute("foo")
def do_another_function(conn):
     conn.execute("bar")

conn = engine.connect()
do_function(conn)
do_another_function(conn)
conn.close()

with this:

def do_function():
      engine.contextual_connect().execute("foo")
def do_another_function():
     engine.contextual_connect().execute("bar")

conn = engine.contextual_connect()
do_function()
do_another_function()
conn.close()