On Friday 13 April 2007 21:20:18 Michael Bayer wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2007, at 12:51 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > haven't thought yet of where/how to hack this...
> > i may have to abandon *-to-many-relations() alltogether, as i
> > don't want/need them loaded - only filtered at view-time.
> > or can i make some super- (or sub-) relation thing
> > (propertyLoader?) that does the above?
>
> I currently do it using a property that returns a Query object,
> which works very well.  the extra method "with_parent()" i want to
> add to Query would make it easier to implement also.
>

> class MyClass(object):
>      def _get_children(self):
>           return object_session(self).query
> (SomeChildClass).with_parent(self)
>      children = property(_get_children)
>

> then:
>
> m = session.query(MyClass).get(1)
> somechildren = m.children[3:5]
> someotherchildren = m.children.filter_by(foo='bar').filter_by
> (x==y).list()

hm, that seems like a way... more or less what i've done so far, on a
different level though - i have done it completely separate.

how to avoid loading the whole thing at any time? or there is no
relation() as such? with_parent assumes some relation.
and how to add new links - manualy? or append to the otherside? then
how to re-sync the list - items can be added on other machines/
threads...?

i want to somehow bundle these (read/write aspects) in one thing, e.g.
called "specialized_relation", and not having to separately think
about intermediate objects/queries etc.

It's like a more specialized "instance" of current (class-wide)
relation() definition. e.g. something that is created off
obj.class.some_relation, and it's obj.id (and other subfilters).

The whole-relation thing is like a "class", and the subfiltered thing
is like an "instance".