I finally got the encoding to work.  I moved from linux to windows,
and now the encoding works with both pymssql and pyodbc.
So it had to do with using FreeTDS.  I experimented with FreeTDS.conf
to use version 7.0 and 8.0 and various charsets, but could not get it
to work, so I'll man up and use windows.

db = create_engine('mssql://./test', module=pyodbc,
module_name='pyodbc')