Hi Mike,

>it's a scope problem.
>After the insert statement is executed the scope is lost for the next
>"select scope_identity()" (<- new scope outside the insert)
>Both statements, the insert and the select have to be executed within
>one call:

Yes, I think this is the solution we will end up using. At the moment
PyODBC doesn't allow you to do this, but we can see about working with
them to add the functionality.

What database connector are you using in your applications that use this
technique?

There are tickets for this:
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/ticket/537
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1703193&group_id=162557&atid=824254