Jonathan LaCour wrote:

> It appears to me that MySQL doesn't like it when you don't specify a
> FROM in the subselect, whereas PostgreSQL and SQLite don't care.

Responding to myself, I have solved the problem.  As it turns out, you
can force SQLAlchemy to generate a FROM for the subselect by passing the
`correlate=False` keyword argument to the subselect.

Is there any reason that `correlate` defaults to `True`?  Should it be
automatically flipped to `False` for subselects?

--
Jonathan LaCour
http://cleverdevil.org