Sam,

Well, you can do MyClass.select(conditions) which returns instances. If you
only want to return a selection of comments, I believe there is a hook to do
that; check the docs.

I can understand this may seem strange to you, it certainly did to me in the
beginning, but as I built up experience I've found the design is very
logical. Your problems come because you're fighting the framework - creating
instances manually rather than using MyClass.select().

Paul