On Jul 11, 9:02 pm, Justus Pendleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've noticed some large (10x) performance differences between sqlalchemy (no
> ORM) and plain DB API when using sqlite and was wondering if that is
> something expected even when I'm (trying to) avoid the ORM stuff or if I'm
> just doing something wrong.

Looking at
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/attachment/wiki/ProfilingResults/sqla.insert.prof.png
this is in the ballpark of whats expected. You can about double your
performance by compiling the insert and using the result instead of
the insert clause. And if that is not enough you can buffer insertable
data into a list and execute many rows at a time, this should
dramatically decrease SQLAlchemy overhead.

Ants