Whoops!  Never mind; deprecation is a really good reason.

http://docs.python.org/ref/sequence-methods.html
__getslice__(   self, i, j)
    Deprecated since release 2.0.

The trouble is (and, sorry, this is getting beyond SQLAlchemy-
specific), that leaves me without any good ideas for how to
distinguish sequence types (lists, tuples, and user-defined objects
resembling them) from mappings (dicts).

Also, I don't need to at present, but it still leaves it impossible to
take a slice from a RowProxy.  It seems possibly useful.

resultrow[1:2]
TypeError: unhashable type

So, for the moment, I'm looking into whether I could write a patch for
that, then try-and-catch to do my duck typing.  If you know a reason
RowProxy's -shouldn't- support slicing, say so!

- Catherine
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com