I've looked and looked, but can't find any guidance on this.  I want a
program that, the first time it's run, creates its tables.  I'm
guessing that I need something like this:

try:
  user_table = Table('users', metadata, autoload=True)
except NoSuchTableError:
  user_table = Table('users', metadata, Column('userid', String(8)))

OTOH, I can't find any examples of anyone doing things this way.  Is
there another way that I'm missing?  Thanks!