On 7/27/07, Michael Bayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Gaetan de Menten wrote:
>
> > First, it complained there was no alias, while I *think* aliases
> > should only be necessary when the query is used in a subquery, but
> > anyway, after giving it its alias, it still doesn't work: I can't save
> > any data. Worse, it doesn't complain in any way, it's just that no
> > insert is issued to the database. I suspect a limitation in SQLAlchemy
> > (ie no inserts when there isn't at least one complete table in the
> > selectable or something of the like), but it might be something I'm
> > doing wrong. Any idea?
>
> normally i know what this is but in this case its a bug with select
> traversal...what youre  doing should work fine (though its a sucky
> workaround for what you want).  try it with 0.3 and it works fine.

Oh. Ok. Works fine now, thanks for the quick fix!

> > BTW: it's probably related to the fact the generated select query is:
> >
> > SELECT subset.id AS subset_id, subset.data AS subset_data
> > FROM (SELECT common.id AS id, common.data AS data FROM common) AS
> > subset ORDER BY subset.oid
> >
> > while I'd like to be able to do is simply:
> >
> > SELECT common.id AS common_id, common.data AS common_data
> > FROM common
> > ORDER BY subset.oid
> >

> so do you just want "explicit_columns=True" so that no auto-grabbing
> of columns occurs ?

I don't know exactly what I want (or maybe it's just I don't care how
it's done). It's just that I found it suboptimal that in some cases
the columns you select are "embedded" in the from clause while what
you want is modify what is selected "before" the from clause, whether
this is columns or more complex expressions.
--
Gaƫtan de Menten
http://openhex.org