absolutely, see the docs on the create_engine() argument
"convert_unicode" here:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/03/dbengine.html#dbengine_options

and the docs on the "Unicode" datatype here:

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/03/types.html

any string type also accepts a flag "convert_unicode=True". so all
three below will convert:

Column('mycol1', String(50, convert_unicode=True))
Column('mycol2', Unicode(50))
Column('mycol3', TEXT(convert_unicode=True))