I'm wondering what is the best way for a mapped object to acquire a
connection for a non-ORM style query while staying within the context
(reuse connection or transaction) of its own session.  For example, here
is a method of a mapped object.

     @property
     def analysis_count(self):
         """Return a count of related analysis records.

         """
         sess = object_session(self)
         con = session.connect()
         result = select([func.count(sample_analysis.c.id)],

                         sample_analysis.c.batch_id == self.id,
                         bind=con).execute().scalar()
         return result

Is this correct and is there a better way to accomplish this?  I'm
working with SA 0.3.10.

Randall