My app saves bookmarks to different Postgres servers, and tries to
connect at login. But if the server from the bookmark is not reachable
or down, it only times out after like 2 minutes. So I could either
check if the host is available before connecting (telnetlib connection
to the Postgres port) or put the testconnection in a thread and kill
it if there is no connection after x seconds. Or is there a nice way
to solve this from withing SQLAlchemy?

Ciao

Koen