sc0ttbeardsley wrote:
> On Sep 17, 5:03 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Has anyone added support for the POLYGON data type in PostgreSQL? If
>> so, is there any code that can be shared?
>
> I haven't seen POLYGON but the beginnings of such support is over at
> bycycle.org[1]. I'm interested in something similar for MySQL's
> spatial extensions. Has anyone done MySQL yet?

Just before the first 0.4 beta I started looking at adding support for
the OGC types for databases that support them.  The basic column
plumbing in SQLAlchemy is simple- an hour's work, with unit tests- but
what's less obvious is what to map those column types *to*.  They could
just be tuples or the like, but that didn't feel as useful as one might
want.

I've been idly monitoring the progress summary for the GeoDjango project
to see if their efforts scare up any clear winners for python-side
representation of the geometry types.  They seem to be mapping to
ctypes-fronted native classes, which feels like a good direction to me.

What do all of you GIS folks think about the python mappings?  Is there
a clear approach, or would the type implementation (e.g. Point, Curve,
etc.) need to be pluggable?  Some specialized expression functions to
make query specification smooth might also be in order.

I think it would be pretty nifty to have a "GeoAlchemy" kind of
extension or add-on that really rocks for GIS work.  I haven't had cause
to use geometry in database work and so my GIS experience is pretty
limited, but I would be more than delighted to lend a hand if folks with
working domain knowledge are also game.

-j