On Sep 22, 2007, at 3:45 PM, m h wrote:

> So the failure is when CursorFairy executes the execute method on the
> cx cursor.  Where does the SA converting returned types come into play
> on this?

because you sent me this stack trace:

>> File "/home/matt/work/vpython/lib/python2.4/site-packages/
>> SQLAlchemy-0.3.10-py2.4.egg/sqlalchemy/databases/oracle.py",
>> line 117, in convert_result_value
>>     return value.read()
>> AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'read'

that line of code is only called within result-set processing, well
after any statement execution occurs.

now youre talking about getting an exception upon execute, which
means the above stack trace should be totally impossible to get.
Also, youre saying that removing the DBAPI adaptation somehow made
the oracle error visible where it was not earlier, which is also
strange; so I'd at least advise using the latest trunk and not beta5
since i think we might have made some corrections to the exception
handling.

> Hmmm, this appears to be a regression since .3.7 worked....  I'm
> assumming new CLOB code somewhere is overeager in converting to
> CLOBs.....

we arent converting CLOBs or anything like that.  the only thing that
is different from 0.3.7 to now is that we do a little bit of
conversion of Numeric types to Decimal objects.

so the new error youre getting now puts it back in the "execution"
camp.  you need to narrow down the query to the specific column
expression and/or parameter thats making it break.