On Friday 28 September 2007 01:14:32 Michael Bayer wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2007, at 3:53 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > i know in 0.4 one can request a polymorphic request to be
> > automaticaly split into multiple per-subtype requests. i've no
> > idea how this compares +/- to the huge union/outerjoin that gives
> > all in one long shot.
> >
> > my question is.. can this mechanism/approach be used somehow for
> > (semi) automatic "vertical" loading, i.e. instead of loading all
> > items in all rows, load only some items normaly while
> > (pre)loading some specific columns in whole in one separate shot?
> > say there is a table X having a,b,c..p,q. So i do a plain row
> > query over X, getting a,b,c,d per row, and request the p and q
> > columns (pre)loaded whole (or partial as per some limit).
> > i imagine this to be useful to avoid zillions of eagerloads/joins
> > etc (when the columns in question are links to somewhere).
> > but i might be wrong... - i've no idea how the eagerloading
> > scales. Any arguments pro/con?
>
> if youre talking about just one table X, "deferred" columns will
> hold off the loading of those columns until they are accessed.  as
> far as the joined tables, polymorphic_fetch="deferred" will leave
> those to be loaded when those attributes are first accessed.
> that's as well as I understand your question so far....
mmm no, i'm not asking that.
is there any available mechanism to load a query by columns instead of
by rows. that is split a query verticaly. like paginate verticaly and
not just horizontaly. Think a table with rows and many columns.
usualy query yields full rows. i want to split the query into
several, each having a number (>=1) of columns of the whole thing,
all under same filtering, one being the leading one, others loaded
per request, in big chunks).
nevermind, it won't be hard to make anyway, once i know exacty what i
need....