Thanks for the help. Looks like I'm still stuck though.

my code crashes after just 2 lines

from sqlalchemy import *
engine = create_engine('access://VMCPDB', echo=True)

The dump is as follows:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\test.py", line 8, in <module>
    engine = create_engine('access://VMCPDB', echo=True)
  File "build\bdist.win32\egg\sqlalchemy\engine\__init__.py", line
159, in create_engine
  File "build\bdist.win32\egg\sqlalchemy\engine\strategies.py", line
64, in create
  File "build\bdist.win32\egg\sqlalchemy\databases\access.py", line
187, in __init__
  File "build\bdist.win32\egg\sqlalchemy\engine\default.py", line 49,
in __init__
TypeError: preparer() takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)

Was wondering if anyone with experience /w Access db's and SA could
see if there is a quick fix?

Also, I just want to assert that the library files used are stored
inside the SA .egg file, making it rather hard to debug within the
code. Is this correct?

I am 99% sure that this isn't connected to the issue, but my mdb file
is registered as a user DSN (named 'VMCPDB'), and is verified to be
valid, if it helps...