If you allow me some more questions, I can now retrieve info from the
cards table using:

s = select([card_table.c.id],(card_table.c.key.in_(s_inner)) )

Similarly from the revision table

s = select([repetition_table.c.actual_interval_s],
(repetition_table.c.rep_number==3) &
(repetition_table.c.card_key.in_(s_inner)) )

However, I'd also like to get both information simulaneously, as the
ordering in both queries seems different. I tried this:

j = card_table.join(repetition_table,
repetition_table.c.card_key.in_(s_inner) &
(repetition_table.c.rep_number==3))
s = select([card_table.c.id,repetition_table.c.actual_interval_s],
from_obj=[j])

But this went Cartesian again...

A second minor point: is it possible to get select to return a list of
scalars [1,2, ...], rather than a list of tuples [(1,),(2,..), ...]

Peter