> yeah this is something configurational with your DBAPI.  anything
> wrong on the python side would throw an exception which you'd
> see...that the program just ends, something native is going on.  try
> writing a simple DBAPI (no sqlalchemy) program that just imports the
> driver and issues a connect().  try it also using the *wrong*
> hostname, so that it fails with a "host not found" error, to make
> sure it can do that much....it could be just importing the driver
> thats crashing it, and you might have to make sure things are
> installed properly (up to date versions of DLLs, etc.)

Thanks for the help. I am still having those intermittent problems. I
tried using just pyodbc, but the symptoms were the same.
I tried a new machine, Windows 2003 Server, and installed SQL Server
2005 (SP2), Python, EZTools(py), Win32com(py), pyodbc(py), sqla(py),
in that order, and nothing changed. Am I missing something?
If this is the wrong forum for this topic, please point me to one that
is more relevant?

Code for broken pyodbc:
import pyodbc
cnxn = pyodbc.connect('DRIVER={SQL
Server};SERVER=thisshouldbreak;DATABASE=nonexistant;UID=canIh4s;PWD=cheezburger')
cursor = cnxn.cursor()

All values inside the conenction String are invalid besides the {SQL
Server} one. I'm getting nowhere so any help would be fine. Thanks
Mike for helping out. Seems like you're answering a lot of threads. We
appreciate it!