bob wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am going over this this example to learn how to construct an eager-
> loaded adjacency tree,
>
> http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/browser/sqlalchemy/trunk/examples/adjacencytree/byroot_tree.py
>
> and I noticed that some of the keys in the "treenodes" table are given
> long names in the table definition, and then shorter aliases in the
> mapper.  (eg. parent_node_id, parent_id, ...)  I couldn't really
> figure out whether this is necessary functional-wise.  It would be
> nice if I could just use shorter column names to begin with and skip
> the extra aliases.  Any thoughts on that?

There's no functional need for those.  For shorter names, other options
are: a) just use shorter column names or b) keep the long names as-is in
the database but use short names in Python via the key='shortname'
option to Column.  The latter is a common strategy when you're stuck
with a legacy schema.

-j