Yowser. Thanks to both of you - that's exactly what I mean. Any
pointers on where I can find an example of a class that is "unaware"
if it is in the db? Or is there a good example of the second
solution,  of "a single class that does the what and why, and an
interchangeable layer/context that does load/saving"? I'm digging
through dbcook.sf.net but haven't found anything just yet.

--
Dr Paul-Michael Agapow: VieDigitale / Inst. for Animal Health
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]