> I rearranged instance-level deferred loaders to be serializable
> instances in r3968.  you can now pickle an instance + its _state and
> restore, and all deferred/lazy loaders will be restored as well.  I
> didnt yet test it specifically with merge() but give it a try, you
> shoudnt be getting that error anymore...the pickling issue from ticket
> #870 is also no longer present.

Unfortunately it does not work (I am now at r3973).

1) I created an object with deferred property (not None).
2) Reloaded it in a new session (to "erase" deferred property)
3) Pickled/Unpickled
4) Removed everything but properties and _state.
5) obj = s.merge(obj, dont_load=True)  (with a fresh session s)
6) obj.deferred_ppty => None

merge worked without an exception this time.

Thanks.

PS. Special thanks for #871 (overheads in backref). It was blocking
the full-featured use of SqlAlchemy while staying as efficient as raw
SQL for me :)