Good points - although restructuring the database around integer PKs
is out of the question at the moment and we also need to support
operations where 'road shoot' databases are merged into our master
database... so we do have one legitimate use for GUIDs :)

If I run across a way to fetch auto-inserted GUIDs from MSSQL, I'll
bring it forward.. but for now generating the id before insertion
seems to be the way to go.

cheers