def setProp(self, new_prop, exclusive=True):
    if exclusive:
        self.props = [p for p if p.typ != new_prop.typ]
    self.props.append(new_prop)

o = MappedObject()
o.setProp(Prop(typ='a', val='b')
o.setProp(Prop(typ='b', val='c')

MappedObject has a simple relation() for Prop.

at flush() time, the prop for (typ='b') is saved, but the one for (typ='a')
throws an error on the database insert saying that table.foreignkey is null