I am trying to change the default column type mapping in sqlalchemy.
Analogous to the description in the MySQLdb User's Guide (http://mysql-
python.sourceforge.net/MySQLdb.html) I tried the following.

from MySQLdb.constants import FIELD_TYPE
my_conv = { FIELD_TYPE.DECIMAL: float }
ENGINE  = create_engine( 'mysql://%s:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:3306/%s', connect_args =
{'conv': my_conv} )

This works if I use MySQLdb directly but not with sqlalchemy. I
suspect the syntax I used is wrong. It will create an engine and
connection but as soon as a query is issued a TypeError is raised. Is
there an error in my connect_args dictionary or do I have to change
the mapping behaviour somewhere else?