Is a session required for any form of object state tracking, or is it all
done on the mapped objects?

What I'd like to do is to load a graph of related objects, and keep them
around for a number of change requests.  It's a web app, so the session will
be going away between requests.

There's going to be a parent object and a tree of child objects. Processing
requests will entail all three types of state change on the objects, adding
new items to mapped collections,  removing objects from mapped collections,
and modifying the parent objects and various child objects.

Between requests, what I'd like to do is either just cache the parent object
or pickle it to temp storage, modifying it on request. There will be a final
"checkout" op that will commit all the changes in one shot.

So (finally), the question: Can I just save the pickled object itself, or do
I need to somehow keep a session along with it?  I'm pretty sure that add +
updates are tracked on the objects, but I'm not sure about deletes.....

Thx,
Rick