Hi Chris,

What happens when the schema expected by the mappers doesn't match up to
> the schema in the database?

If the SQLAlchemy table definitions don't match the database, you will
usually get SQL errors when you try to use them.

The TurboGears admin tool can tell you the differences between the database
and the SA table definitions. I use this quite a lot, to check the database
is ok. To make changes, I first change the SA definitions, run tg-admin sql
status, make the changes to the DB by hand, and run it again to check I did
it right. This works for me; it could be improved, but that isn't greatly
urgent.

For getting started with an existing database, try this:
http://code.google.com/p/sqlautocode/

Paul