unfortunately, __len__() has the unwanted side effect of being
consulted when the Query object is evaluated in a list context,
meaning if you say list(query), __len__() is called first before
__iter__() and has the effect of two SQL statements being issued.   so
we can't integrate __len__() (though we've certainly wanted to).