On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 03:34:16 -0700 (PDT)
Olli Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to determine whether the url's database exists or not,
> but didn't find any approach. I created a sqlite engine:
>
> engine = create_engine('sqlite:///test.sqlite')
>
> And tried to connect it:
>
> engine.connect()
>
> But it just created the database file if not existed. So is there any
> way to achieve what I expect? Thanks.

Since the part after 'sqlite:///' is just a regular path on the
filesystem, so one solution could be to use OS calls like stat() to test
for the file:

import os

engine = create_engine('sqlite:///test.sqlite')
try:
    os.stat(engine.url.database)
    # Code for when the database exists, such as:
    engine.connect()
except OSError:
    # Code for when the database does not exist

I don't think there's any way to get that information directly from the
engine, because I don't think SQLite's API provides for it. Maybe
someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck,
Kyle