IMvhO:
 -  table / columns are DB-side terms, relations -
sqlalchemy.orm.relation() - are not really. They are more ORM.
Foreign keys/Constraints are DB-side, yes.
But if annotate relations, then mappers should follow... as they talk
of mappers and then keys/joins.

TO me, keeping the OO model in DB-side terms may not be the best
thing, as OO-side (mappers/props) may be different beast
alltogether - names / meanings / etc.
On another hand, if model is wholly based on DB-side stuff, then its
not really the relations that has to be annotated, its something
lower... but i dont know what.

ciao
svilen