On May 13, 2008, at 4:53 PM, Yannick Gingras wrote:

> If I want to query on containers and on area, I can simply do
>
>  q = Container.query().filter(...)
>
> but, if I receive a query on Item and a base class, say either Item,
> Container or Area, how can I filter() my query to receive only the
> sub-items from this base class?

filter on type_.in(["area", "container"]) is one approach.  Easier
though is session.query(Container); it'll load from the join of items/
containers so you wouldn't get any non-Container objects.
with_polymorphic() only speaks to what subclasses are eagerly loaded
and will be available for filtering.   Though its something to think
about if base classes are not included in WP, should that change the
base class;  I'd say no, since you are reversing intent.