Thanks for your speedy response Michael :)

Yes, after more searching it does rather look like this is an issue
that has to do with MSSQL, rather than SQLA. This post (http://
forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=570896&SiteID=1) seems
to point to a similar opinion, & points the finger at db connector
parameters.

For anyone else who reads this looking for an answer to their own
issue, so you know, we have decided to make changes to our database
configuration options to remove the default locking of records during
a query, as that looks like it may resolve our particular issue. We
have the luxury of not having our data used in a way that requires
locking. This approach may not be appropriate for other users, but it
does suit our needs, so we'll try this out...