On May 15, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Nick Murphy wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> After looking over the 0.5 migration notes and seeing that implicit
> ordering is to be removed, it seems to me that it might make sense to
> change the default collection class for unordered relations from a
> list to a multiset.  This would reinforce that unless order_by is
> specified, one cannot rely on a collection having a particular order.
> I could see this as helpful in preventing bugs when switching between
> databases (e.g. from MySQL to PostgreSQL) with different default
> ordering behaviors.

it is worth considering.   though im not sure if i like the implicit
"order by changes the default collection class", only because it might
get kind of confusing.

if we had a totally explicit "collection class is required" approach,
that would be something different (like, cant use "list" as a
collection unless order_by is present).  We might just say in any case
that "order_by" is required with "list"....but then that might be too
steep a change for 0.4 to 0.5, and also it gets a little weird in that
we dont necessarily know how well the collection is list-like/set-like.