On May 22, 2008, at 6:10 PM, kremlan wrote:

> I have the following setup:
> (relevant excerpts only)
>
> contacts = Table('contacts', meta,
>    Column('id', Integer, primary_key=True),
>    Column('display_as', String(75)),
>    Column('title', String(5)),
>    Column('first_name', String(25)),
>    Column('middle_name', String(25)),
>    Column('last_name', String(25)),
>    Column('suffix', String(5)),
>    Column('job_title', String(50)),
>    Column('department', String(50)),
>    Column('company', String(50)),
>    Column('gender', String(1)),
>    Column('website', String(100)),
>    Column('notes', Text),
>    Column('active', Boolean),
>    Column('account_id', Integer),
>    Column('time_zone_id', Integer),
>    Column('created_at', DateTime),
>    Column('updated_at', DateTime),
>    Column('created_by', Integer),
>    Column('updated_by', Integer),
>    ForeignKeyConstraint(['account_id'], ['accounts.id']),
>    ForeignKeyConstraint(['time_zone_id'], ['time_zones.id']),
>    ForeignKeyConstraint(['created_by'], ['contacts.id']),
>    ForeignKeyConstraint(['updated_by'], ['contacts.id'])
> )
>
> payment_methods = Table('payment_methods', meta,
>    Column('id', Integer, primary_key=True),
>    Column('contact_id', Integer),
>    Column('payment_method_type_id', Integer),
>    Column('created_at', DateTime),
>    Column('updated_at', DateTime),
>    Column('created_by', Integer),
>    Column('updated_by', Integer),
>    ForeignKeyConstraint(['contact_id'],['contacts.id']),
>    ForeignKeyConstraint(['payment_method_type_id'],
> ['payment_method_types.id']),
>    ForeignKeyConstraint(['created_by'],['contacts.id']),
>    ForeignKeyConstraint(['updated_by'],['contacts.id']),
> )
>
> class Contact(object):
>    pass
>
> class PaymentMethod(object):
>    pass
>

> mapper(Contact, contacts, extension=HistoryMapperExtension(),
> properties={
>        'payment_methods':  relation(PaymentMethod,
> backref='contact',
>
> primaryjoin=payment_methods.c.contact_id,
>
> _local_remote_pairs=[(contacts.c.id, payment_methods.c.contact_id)],
>
> foreign_keys=[payment_methods.c.contact_id],
>
> backref='contact')
>    })
>
> mapper(PaymentMethod, payment_methods)
>
> A series of exceptions led me to add the primaryjoin, then
> foreign_keys, then _local_remote_pairs options. Once all three were in
> place I then received another ArgumentError exception advising I
> specify a foreign_keys option.

dont use _local_remote_pairs.  its underscored because its pretty
experimental, and i should probably remove it from the error message
there (im surprised its in there...well there it is...erg).

primaryjoin needs to reference a SQL expression that joins the two
tables together, as in primaryjoin =
tablea.c.somecolumn==tableb.c.someothercolumn (this is documented
here:
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/04/mappers.html#advdatamapping_relation_customjoin

  ) .  Your Table objects already have ForeignKey(Constraint) objects
set up so that should be all you need.